Sundar Pichai grew up in a one bed room residence in Chennai, India. At 12, he obtained his first phone. This triggers his style for expertise*, his ardour for exchanging concepts, and it opens a door to an entire world of information that his mother and father encourage him to discover.
Later, he studied on the Indian Institute of Know-how in Kharagpur, then at Stanford College, within the coronary heart of Silicon Valley in the US. In 2004, he joined Google, the place he was appointed CEO in 2015.
Right this moment, Sundar Pichai leads hundreds of staff on this multi-billion greenback firm. He’s considered one of many People of Indian descent who’ve develop into CEOs of huge tech corporations and whose concepts form the world round us.
Final yr, college students from India had been the most probably to obtain visas to review in the US. In September 2022, the US Embassy in New Delhi introduced that it had already issued a record number of 82,000 visas* to Indian college students.
Like Sundar Pichai, these Indian college students wish to pursue their dream, which is to review in the US to consolidate the bases they acquired in India. Different People of Indian descent now run American expertise corporations. Listed below are some examples:
- Revathi Advaithi Since February 2019, he has held the place of Managing Director of Flex, a expertise manufacturing and design firm. Ms. Advaithi manages a workforce unfold throughout 30 international locations. “The American dream is to work exhausting and take dangers,” she explains*. Should you work exhausting and are good at what you do, you’ll get all of the alternatives you deserve. »
- Arvind Krishna has labored for 30 years at IBM, the place he drives innovation in rising expertise areas, similar to synthetic intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. He grew to become CEO of IBM in 2020.
- Sanjay Mehrotra co-founded SanDisk and is presently CEO of Micron Know-how, a semiconductor and microchip design firm.
- Satya Nadella joined Microsoft in 1992 and led analysis and growth within the on-line providers division there, earlier than being named common supervisor in 2014.
- Shantanu Narayen began working in Adobe’s engineering and expertise division in 1998, earlier than turning into the corporate’s chief government in 2007. He holds 5 patents.
- Raghu Raghuram joined VMware in 2003, an organization specializing in cloud computing and virtualization applied sciences. He now holds the place of Managing Director of the corporate.
- Jayshree Ullal was born in London* and studied in New Delhi and California. She has led cloud networking firm Arista Networks for greater than a decade, rising it right into a multi-billion greenback firm as we speak.
These distinguished People of Indian descent exemplify the shut cultural and financial ties between the US and India. The widespread pursuits of each international locations* embrace a dedication to democracy and the promotion of world safety, stability and prosperity, within the Indo-Pacific area and past, via free commerce and funding.
America stays India’s largest buying and selling associate, with bilateral commerce between the 2 international locations reaching a file excessive of $157 billion in 2021.
In December 2022, India’s Ambassador to the US, Taranjit Singh Sandhu, introduced Sundar Pichai with the Padma Bhushan, considered one of India’s highest civilian honors. He described the entrepreneur’s journey as “inspiring” and famous that Mr. Pichai had strengthened the financial ties between the US and India whereas confirming how a lot India was contributing to innovation on the planet. world.
— Taranjit Singh Sandhu (@SandhuTaranjitS) December 2, 2022
Sundar Pichai says he owes a part of his success in the US to his household’s ardour for studying and his Indian heritage.
“India is a part of me,” he mentioned upon accepting the award. I carry it with me in all places I’m going. »