the Canada Media Fund (CMF) publishes the eleventh version of its annual traits report entitled Inspirations for a collaborative future: pushing the boundaries of the show business. Compiled from unpublished information, progressive analysis and interviews with a various group of creators from right here, the report focuses on the evolution of the Canadian display screen business. Primarily based on advances in expertise, the latest statistics on media consumption, upheavals within the enterprise world and analyzes of societal conduct, the report of the biggest funding fund for content material for screens right here goals to stimulate our inventive forces and encourage our organizations to innovate and interact within the progress of our sector.
“What evolution for the display screen business? That is the important thing query underlying this eleventh pattern report which highlights the sturdy and weak indicators which can be vectors of transformation, explains Florence Girot, CMF’s Head of Foresight and Innovation. The report is a vital supply of data and inspiration on this interval of financial, societal and geopolitical upheaval, if we wish to collectively form a display screen business in tune with the realities of the world.”
Embellished with illustrations by artist Ka Younger Lee, the interactive report gives three chapters. The primary analyzes up to date media manufacturing and consumption; the second delves into the expectations of audiences and stakeholders in the direction of leisure content material on display screen; and the final is within the technological (and human) advances which invite themselves within the media business. Every chapter ends with a brief pictorial potential narrative — a approach of extrapolating from noticed traits to think about a attainable future.
Click on right here to learn the report.
Dive into information
- Smartphone stays the most well-liked display screen: Smartphones are probably the most owned and used units in Canada
- Viewing of tv content material remained comparatively secure between the third quarter (Q3) 2021 and the third quarter (Q3) 2022, even because the Canadian inhabitants resumed their life-style and journey habits
- 81% of French audio system and 84% of English audio system declare to have watched stay tv on a TV channel within the final month (Q3 2022)
- The tv stays the principle system for viewing conventional tv: 88% of Francophones and 78% of Anglophones (Q3 2022 – up from Q3 2021)
- Common day by day media consumption time: On-line and streaming tv consumption elevated extra among the many Canadian inhabitants than among the many G7 international locations between Q3 2020 and Q3 2022 (+32% for the English-speaking inhabitants, +22% for the French-speaking inhabitants, in comparison with 18% for the G7 international locations)
- Companies used to observe or obtain content material: Whereas most companies noticed little or no change between Q3 2021 and 2022, Disney+ stands out with a rise of 4% amongst English audio system, and eight% amongst French audio system. Alternatively, Netflix exhibits a slight lower, of respectively 3% and 5% amongst Anglophones and Francophones respectively.
- Promoting investments: Promoting spending continues to be largely predominant in digital in Canada, with $11.1 billion invested in 2021, or +16% in comparison with 2020. Be aware that whereas tv promoting spending is far decrease, with “solely” $2.8 billion, they nonetheless elevated by 12% in comparison with 2020. Figures to be carefully monitored within the coming months to evaluate the influence of inflation
Macroeconomics: overview of streaming markets and subsequent phases of progress
The subscription streaming market will not be in jeopardy; it simply hasn’t matured. The alternatives are there each for the business — as there are nonetheless vital untapped viewers markets — and for audiences, who’re seeing extra choices for consuming content material to go well with their tastes and budgets. Professor on the Faculty of Media on the College of Quebec in Montreal and affiliate of La Société des Demains, Catalina Briceño, gives a macroeconomic overview of the streaming market.
- Of the 5 billion folks linked to the Web, 1.5 billion are subscribed to a subscription video-on-demand service (We’re social, Oct. 2022)
- Robust progress prospects in sure geographies: subscriptions to VOD companies in India, for instance, are anticipated to almost triple to 155 million by 2026 (Digital TV Analysis)
- Advert-only companies, together with the free ad-supported streaming TV (FAST) mannequin, are on the rise. In Canada, 48% settle for the insertion of promoting on the display screen as a way to profit from free or a substantial discount within the value of a subscription
Collective Property: Indigenous Tales, Possession and Funding
May an indigenous method assist to replicate on the possession of works? Dene journalist Betty Ann Adam, who lives in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, talks to Cree filmmaker Doug Cuthand and Ojibway producer Ryan Cooper about Indigenous considering, mentorship and funding — meals for thought for a display screen business on the daybreak of essential transformations.
Values and Audiences: New Sociopolitical Influences on Display Industries
Authenticity, transparency, equity, inclusion, range, and sustainability are more and more essential values for audiences — particularly Gen Z — and individuals who create content material. Illustration in entrance of and behind the digital camera is important and audiences will assist corporations that put folks earlier than earnings.
- For 40% of customers, the truth that corporations take a powerful, seen and public place on social points was essential to them, to the purpose of affecting their determination to purchase
- In 2022, 20% of Gen Zers in the USA recognized themselves as members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ group. Nielsen noticed in 2021 that 85% of 2SLGBTQIA+ folks used a streaming service within the final 30 days, in comparison with 74% for the overall inhabitants
Cultural fracturing: the obsession with good quaint hits
“Cultural fracturing” is about producing earnings by tapping into fashionable tradition and current mental properties. The emergence of a phenomenon against cultural fracturing may level to the rise of participatory media the place artists and their followers will fund, edit, remix and create works that can stay within the public area.
Various futures: rediscovering and reimagining cultures by science fiction
Rediscoveries and reinventions of cultures by science fiction, inventive kinds equivalent to Afrofuturism, Biskaabiiyang and even Sinofuturism, betting on foresight, are booming and are reaching Canada. The futures created by Indigenous and racialized inventive forces infiltrate the collective creativeness, permitting these creators to discover avenues and meet new audiences.
The shift from content material creation to universe creation is intensifying. Due to the evolution and democratization of applied sciences, creation is turning into ever extra immersive, community-based, multi-platform and hybrid. Interactive experiences are even increasingly more fascinated with odor and contact.
Generative synthetic intelligence: the rise of co-creation interfaces
Welcome to the period of computer-aided creativity! Creation assisted by generative machine studying algorithms is turning into more and more tangible (and environment friendly) in quite a lot of inventive domains, together with video and animation. The digital revolution can now automate cognitive (and artistic) work by artificial media. Some examples: DALL-E 2, QuickVid, and Imagen Video.
“These co-creative interfaces can have two results: they are going to make creation accessible to extra folks; and they’re going to allow the individuals who make a residing from it to enhance and be more practical,” says Philippe Pasquier, affiliate professor on the Faculty of Interactive Arts and Know-how at Simon Fraser College in Vancouver.
Amplify the expertise: contact, odor and immersive applied sciences
Scent (and, quickly, contact) invitations itself into immersive experiences. The rise in experiments mixed with the deliberate launch in 2023 of a digital actuality headset designed to diffuse smells, every little thing means that the sense of odor will quickly be extra broadly accessible in immersive works.